Stained Glass Windows in the Churches of Riposto
The stained glass windows on the lateral sides of the façade of San Pieter Church. The left one is "The Calling of St. Peter" and the one on the right - "The Liberation of Saint Peter from prison."
The “Madonna of the Letter” Church is the first church in Riposto. It preserves a valuable painting, "The Madonna of the Letter." This painting reminds us of the links of Riposto with the city of Messina, the city of origin of the first inhabitants of Riposto. In addition, this painting remind us of the persistence of the links of the city of Messina with the Orthodox world of Greece. In fact there are ten paintings in churches in a wide area of cultural irradiation that the city of the Strait practiced centuries ago. The painting of Riposto is the last of this series and seems far from its Greek prototype, unknown. But it retains the Greek inscription "Η ΓΟΡΓΟΕΠΙΚΟΟΣ", the one who quickly responds. Just to remember that the type of the icon of the Mother of God with this inscription is due to something that happened in 1646 in the church of Monastery Dochiariou, at Mount Athos.
The Stained-glass reproduces the painting in the church. And it was enough to change the clothes of the Virgin Mary and the Child, to restore it to its original expression of the Greek prototype.